Friday 6 June 2008

Preamble: A Flurry of Socks

Ryan Air has very strict specifications for luggage. We chose not to check in our bags for speed (and also cos they charge a higher fee) which meant we had one bag that had to be 55 x 25 x something very thin which I can't remember, and it couldn't not weigh over 10kg.

I spent the day measuring bags with a measuring tape. It's a miracle the zips could close. Apart from wet weather gear, walking gear, First Aid kit, map, civilian clothing and 2 x books (my excuse is I would need at least one on a normal everyday basis, here I'm going to the outskirts of civilisation!), a variety of chargers and toiletries, I kept things as simple as possible.

Thank goodness for Nepal - after wearing the same clothes and not showering for 10 days, this should be fine.

I'm finally packed. A last minute round of tasks - water the plants, check emails, wash dishes.

I arrived at Johnny's to see him trundling between rooms, and there was a flurry of socks and shirts.

"Arg," he said, "my bag is 1 cm too long."

We sat in the front room watching short documentaries. I refuse to weigh my bag. I simply can't face unpacking and packing it again.

I know it's nuts but I've only just looked closely at the itinerary. As photographer and general cheerleader, I tend to leave details of planning and navigation to those better suited.

Mount Keen

Miles : 11 miles
Ascent: 730m

Lochnagar aka Cac Carn Beag

Miles: 17.1 miles
Ascent: 1155m

OH MY GOD - SEVENTEEN!

Wish us luck.

No comments: