Sunday 1 March 2009

Richmond Park - Gunnersbury to Northfield - 10 miles

It's tough to describe the Richmond Park walk.

First, it was less of a route than a compromise. Dr. Phil had planned to cook a juicy Sunday Roast. Unfortunately, Amanda was down for a visit yesterday, so I could not make a walk on Saturday. This turn about Richmond was a way to bridge the desire for walk and for chicken, of which, both are good for the body and spirit.

Ali and I met at Richmond Station, ordered our prerequisite coffees and headed towards the park. It was quite a jaunt through Richmond town centre, where, despite my bleary-eyed state, I was quite happily window shopping as we passed some fabulous stores.

The view when we got the top of the hill, was pretty cool. Although the sky was overcast and grey, we could still see clearly the bend of the River Thames.

The park itself was huge. Several things were found to be:

1) Within Richmond Park, lies the address, Two Storm Front. There's no real reason for it. it just is.

2) To my shame, despite my years of English prizes, I did not know the plural of deer.

3) Ali may have mistaken when the horns fall off.

4) People were running full pelt around the park, while the deer just lay around, ears twitching in the breeze.



We crisscrossed the park in several directions and eventually made our way back to the station. The walk resumed when we got off at Gunnersbury. The rest of the walk was full of blame points as it was through industrial business estates and by the dual carriage way. I was getting increasingly tired and hungry, in other words, grumpy.

Thankfully, we finally arrived. I would have bitten the next human if they hadn't shoved some chicken in front of me in time.

1 comment:

Richmond Park said...

Glad you got some roast chicken in the end!

It's a shame you didn't get to see the famous view from Richmond Hill properly. You should definitely go back in summer if you haven't already.